Thursday, November 30, 2017

Decorative Tiles


 

This decorative tile was made with air drying clay.  Through this lesson we learned basic hand building techniques, such as wedging, score and slip, stitching, and additives.  To create my tile I first rolled out a piece of clay about 4x4 inches.  Then, I started to mold my forms and attach them to my tiles.  I added texture to my petals with a needle tool and then painted the flowers. 

The small size of the tile makes this lesson a great introductory project for working with clay.  Through this lesson students learn a lot of the techniques necessary to start sculpting different forms.  To build off of that learning, I would incorporate those techniques into creating their own clay chia pets.  This would give them an opportunity to incorporate a 3-D element that they may not have with the tiles.     

No comments:

Post a Comment